Top Reasons to use Waterjet Cutting Services
The concept of waterjet cutting has been around since the 1950’s when it was first conceptualized by Dr. Norman Franz. While originally utilized to help engineers cut lumber, waterjet cutting is now an effective method for cutting almost any flat material, including stainless steel and aluminum.
A waterjet works to cut or clean materials by using a high-pressure stream of water. The cutter itself can be connected to a water pump that ejects high-pressure water from a nozzle thus cutting the material with high-speed water. There may also be additives, such as abrasives, used to help with the cutting process.
There are many different benefits to using waterjet cutting for stainless steel or aluminum sheets.
1. The Ability of Waterjets to cut through almost anything. Many don’t understand the capability of waterjets, they have the ability to cut through 10 in aluminum sheets and eight-inch stainless steel sheets.
2. Using waterjets doesn’t mean heat is required. The preferred method for cutting materials that are sensitive to heat, waterjet cutting doesn’t generate heat thus making it the best method for cutting. The no heat-affected zone (HAZ) minimizes the effects of heat, which allows for metal to be cut without damaging the surface.
3. Waterjets exhibit the highest level of precision of cutting methods The precision of waterjets is high enough to state that the accuracy is 0.005″ and when repeated stands at 0.001″. Not only do waterjets have a high level of precision when cutting aluminum and steel but it also provides a burr-free finish. The waterjets eliminate the need for a secondary surface finishing process and allows for expenses to be spared.
4.Speed Not much time is needed to set up the waterjet to cut materials. The cutting process is quicker than other methods that may be utilized for cutting materials. Materials rarely have to be re-cut when using the waterjet cutting process.
5. The cutting process is environmentally sound Waterjets are classified as green technology. During the process of cutting materials with the waterjet, there are no byproducts produced. Considering the large pieces of recyclable scrap metal or material can be cut, the waterjets prevent waste that occurs when using other cutting methods.
When using waterjets to cut aluminum or stainless steel, there are a plethora of environmental advantages. Waterjets use very little water. Almost one half to one gallon of water will be used per minute, depending on the cutting head orifice size. Upon completion of a cutting project, the water that was used can be recycled with a closed-looped system. The waste water can be disposed of through a drain upon being recycled.
7. A safer work environment is created. Waterjets eliminate airborne dust particles, smoke, fumes, and contaminants from cutting materials. This greatly improves the work environment and reduces problems arising from the machine operator’s exposure.